Dr. Nguyen Viet Cuong graduated with a master’s and a doctorate in Development Economics from the Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Management, Wageningen University, Netherlands. Dr. Cuong has extensive research and consulting experience in the areas of policy and project impact assessment, poverty analysis, ethnic minorities, health and education analysis. He participates in many research and consulting projects as a Research Team Leader, a teaching expert and consultant for Ministries, Research Institutes, international agencies and NGOs in Vietnam, Dr. Nguyen Viet Cuong is the only person working in Vietnam. Many of his studies have been published in international journals such as the Journal of Development Economics. European Economic Review, American Political Science Review, World Development and World Bank Economic Review, …
– Dr. Cuong is currently in the editorial board of the Journal of Nusantara Studies; Asia-Pacific Journal of Regional Science; PLOS ONE; The Journal of Economics and Development.
– According to the recent ranking of RePec Economic Research project, Dr. Cuong is one of the two Vietnamese economists in the top 5% out of more than 55,000 economists in the world.
– Dr. Cuong also Participating in reviewing articles for international scientific journals: European Review of Agricultural Economics, Economic Analysis and Policy, The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Feminist Economics, Economic Modeling, BMJ Global Health, Journal of Health Economics, World Development, Oxford Development Studies, International Migration, Journal of Development Studies, Applied Economics, Contemporary Economic Policy.
– In 2000 – 2002, Dr. Cuong received the Award for having best Master’s thesis with the topic “Is growth favorable for the poor in Vietnam? 1993 – 1998 period” at Wageningen University, Netherlands
– In 2007, Dr. Cuong received the Second-class Development Medal from the Global Development Network for the research paper “Does microcredit benefit the poor? Evidence from Vietnam”.
– In 2014, Dr. Cuong received the Award for the best presentation at the American Political Economy Association Conference with the article “Impacts of Centralization in Vietnam”.
– In 2015, The article “The impact of trade promotion on poverty and inequality in low and middle-income countries” was awarded the best article of 2015 by The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development.
– Author of 95 research publications and 50 scientific articles in the period from 2002 to present (according to REPEC statistics).